RECENT Obituaries {view all}
Larita Peters
Ollie Exum
Frederick McFarlin
Daniel James "Danny" McKee
Betty Turner
Cathy Kilgore
Mary Burch
Wallace "Wally" Till, Jr.
Ronney Fennell, sr.
Alice Reaves

Our History

Rainer Funeral Home
Rainer Funeral Home
Henry County's "hometown" funeral home is back home again. After a long and storied history, local businessmen Greg Cannon and Peter Thornton returned the county's renowned, premier funeral home to local ownership. "It was important to improve the level of service available to Henry County families, and establish more of a community oriented business," states Greg Cannon.

The roots of Cannon Cleveland Funeral Directors go back to 1940 and the establishment of the Carmichael Funeral Home by D.T. Carmichael. The original business was located in the Amasa Spencer House, built in 1835 in McDonough. D.T. Carmichael & Sons Funeral Home remained in business until 1977 when it was purchased by Fred and Ray Rainer and renamed the Rainer-Carmichael Funeral Home. They established a second location, the Rainer Funeral Home, in Stockbridge, in 1991. In the late 1990s, SCI, a Texas-based funeral home acquisition company, purchased both locations.

In 1999, employees Greg Cannon, Donald Cleveland, and Peter Thornton purchased both funeral homes back from SCI, changing the name to Cannon Cleveland Funeral Directors. Plans were immediately launched for a new facility to replace the two existing locations.

In March 2000 a groundbreaking was held for the new facility at the intersection of Highway 42 North and Brannan Road in McDonough. On October 15, 2000, an open house and dedication ceremony was held for the new funeral home. Local architect Roger Moss designed the 11,800 square-foot facility. It features a spacious chapel, four viewing rooms, a family lounge, children's room and approximately 130 parking spaces.  An expansion in 2010 added a contemporary chapel which can also double as a community room, a dining hall, kitchen and offices.

According to Greg and Peter, their goal is exemplary service, at a fair price, in a time of need.

In keeping with the Cannon Cleveland spirit of offering only the finest in dedicated, highly personal service for their clients, community service also plays a big role at this company. There is employee involvement in civic groups, various churches, and the company is a member of the Henry County Chamber of Commerce, McDonough Business Association, Selected Independent Funeral Homes, the National Funeral Directors Association, Academy of Graduate Embalmers of Georgia and the Georgia Funeral Directors Association.

Henry County's "hometown" funeral home truly is back home again. Providing personal, professional service that began many years ago, now in a modern facility, with the credo- Every Life Has A Story... Celebrate It!.